Hapco Philadelphia’s attorney for landlord/tenant complaints, Baritz Law, is offering a new service at a discounted rate for Hapco Philadelphia members.

In order to comply with the CARES Act, newly enacted Philadelphia City Council legislation, and Governor Wolf’s executive order suspending evictions through August 31, 2020, the process for beginning eviction matters in the city has changed. If you have an eviction case that needs processing, contact the Hapco Philadelphia office and send all relevant paperwork. Baritz Law is offering this added service at the discounted rate of $250. The process moving forward is as follows:

  1. Once processed by Hapco Philadelphia, the file will be forwarded to Baritz Law, who will prepare and send a specific notice which needs to be sent to the tenant regarding any Covid-related hardship the tenant may be suffering. 
  2. If the tenant responds to that letter, claiming that he/she is experiencing such a hardship, then the landlord and tenant may try to resolve the unpaid rent with a repayment agreement outside of court. In some cases, the tenant may be entitled to a nine (9) month repayment plan.
  3. If the tenant keeps that repayment agreement, then the case will never be filed in court.  If the tenant breaks that agreement, then the case will be potentially sent to a diversion program, which has not yet been set up by the court, but which will also be a way to arrange an agreement without having the case proceed into court.  If the tenant keeps that agreement, then a case will not be filed in court.  However, if the tenant breaks that agreement, or if no agreement can be reached through the diversion program, or if the tenant never initially claims any kind of Covid-related hardship, then the landlord may file regularly in court, again subject to the time restraints imposed by the Governor’s moratorium.

Additionally, if the reason for wanting to file a new case is based solely on a breach of lease (such as a threat of harm to the landlord) other than for nonpayment of rent or for termination of the term of the lease, then the landlord may be able to file in court much sooner in such circumstances.